courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Had my 1992 Saturn SL2 sold to my neighbor. As soon as the car found out it was to leave us it began having an intermittent starting problem when it was warmed up. When the problem would occur it would start, run rough for several seconds and then die. After it would sit for 15 to 30 minutes it would start and run fine. Afterwards it might be fine for several days or several weeks. A local parts house said that it sounded like a fuel filter. I ordered and installed a new filter. The car ran fine for about ten miles and several starts. Now it will not start at all. I have removed the fuel line at the injector rail only to find that there is 0 fuel coming out when the key is on. I am unsure what to do now... replace fuel pump, or look into the computer or keep the car and let my wife convert it into a driveway planter box.
When you turn the key on, the fuel pump should come on for about 3 to 5 seconds... Now, since you have the fuel rail off, take the hose, put it in a can or something (be careful not to spill any) and turn the key. Get anything? Should come out real fast? If not, then bad fuel pump. They are usually located in the gas tank on modern cars.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Rent a garden plot
- Renewing bathroom sinks
- Homemade dishwasher detergent
- Cheap sofa reupholstery
- Free landscape borders Slideshow
- Homemade floor cleaners
- 5 ways to prepare your garden for spring
- 10 ways to save money on your utility bill
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?