I Quit Ironing
by Tamela from Canada
As a working woman (office) on a strict clothing budget, and also one who who rather spend those last early morning minutes sleeping instead of ironing, I realized that I had to do something drastic about my wardrobe.
It seemed that the clothes I was drawn to all required ironing. There are two great second-hand clothing outlets in our town, but I began to see that there is often a good reason why people give away their old clothes. Because they were cheap, I'd bring home a really odd assortment of styles and colors. (Which of course never matched anything I already owned.) And many of these 'treasures' required hand washing and ironing.
Now I choose clothes more for ease of wear rather than some image I think I might be projecting. I look at the clothes I've practically worn out and ask myself why I've loved wearing them. All of them are no-iron, look great on me, and feel great.
Instead of spending money on second-hand clothes I'll never wear, I do spend some money on things like neutral tops and socks that fit great and slacks that I know I'll still be wearing in a few years.
I still get the occasional great 'find' at the second-hand stores, but I buy far less than I used to. It's really simplified my life to pare down my wardrobe to five or six easy-wear outfits.
And the clothes that don't go along with my new wardrobe go back to--you guessed it--the second-hand clothing stores.
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 15 mistakes to avoid when selling your home
- 9 ways to buy furniture for less
- Need a bigger home? How to maximize the space you already have
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?