CV Joints and Axles Explained
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Could you please tell me the difference of cv joints and cv axle? Are they the same or what?
A CV axle is made up of 2 cv joints and the axle can also be known as a half shaft. Now, some people opt to simply replace the worn joint and not the whole shaft, approximately 30% less in cost, but the labor involved in removing the shaft for repair is the same as removing the shaft for complete replacement. Now, my contention is that both joints work the same amount, so if one wore out, the other one has about the same mileage and will soon wear out as well. For all that work, might as well start with good components.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Take the Next Step
- Reduce the cost of your gasoline with a 'gas card'. You can compare them here.
Also in Home
- Rent a garden plot
- Renewing bathroom sinks
- Homemade dishwasher detergent
- Cheap sofa reupholstery
- Free landscape borders Slideshow
- Homemade floor cleaners
- 5 ways to prepare your garden for spring
- 10 ways to save money on your utility bill
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?