CV Joints and Axles Explained
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Could you please tell me the difference of cv joints and cv axle? Are they the same or what?
A CV axle is made up of 2 cv joints and the axle can also be known as a half shaft. Now, some people opt to simply replace the worn joint and not the whole shaft, approximately 30% less in cost, but the labor involved in removing the shaft for repair is the same as removing the shaft for complete replacement. Now, my contention is that both joints work the same amount, so if one wore out, the other one has about the same mileage and will soon wear out as well. For all that work, might as well start with good components.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
If you have a question for Bob send it to: . He's able to answer many of them personally and we'll include the best questions in future issues of The Dollar Stretcher.
Take the Next Step
- Reduce the cost of your gasoline with a 'gas card'. You can compare them here.
Also In This Week's Issue
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- How to regain storage space and cut the clutter
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 12 ways to lower heating bills
- Free fireplace logs
- 8 kitchen remodeling projects for under $500
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 6 hazards your home insurance won't cover
- How to save on mortgage as rates rise
In The Dollar Stretcher Community
Get free money-saving articles in your inbox each week!
Sign up for our free weekly newsletter Surviving Tough Times.