CV Joints and Axles Explained
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Could you please tell me the difference of cv joints and cv axle? Are they the same or what?
A CV axle is made up of 2 cv joints and the axle can also be known as a half shaft. Now, some people opt to simply replace the worn joint and not the whole shaft, approximately 30% less in cost, but the labor involved in removing the shaft for repair is the same as removing the shaft for complete replacement. Now, my contention is that both joints work the same amount, so if one wore out, the other one has about the same mileage and will soon wear out as well. For all that work, might as well start with good components.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Take the Next Step
- Reduce the cost of your gasoline with a 'gas card'. You can compare them here.
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How to hire an affordable, reliable housesitter
- Helping your adult children with housing
- 10 ways to cut the cost of cleaning
- Installing bathroom in-floor heat
- Natural homemade laundry soap recipes
- How to reduce heating bills this winter
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?