Saving On Cereal
by Marybeth Henry & Amanda Formaro
With children in the house, you probably go through plenty of cereal on a regular basis. But do you stick to the smaller boxes because everyone likes something different, and you don't want the cereal to go stale before the box is finished? A simple trick my friend's mom taught me: buy all your cereal in the jumbo boxes, and then separate it into Ziploc bags (whatever size you like) and store the extra bags in the pantry. The cereal stays fresh, and you can still get the discount prices. (This also beats the price of buying the individual boxes for snacks. Simply separate the cereal into snack-size bags, and let your kids take those as snacks, instead of the boxes).
Another thing you can do is save the empty boxes of the expensive cereal. Then buy the cheaper bagged cereals and refill the brand-name boxes with the less expensive product. Or you can use plastic storage containers to keep your cereal in. Your family will not know the difference.
Did you know that many brand-name cereal companies sell *odd* batches of brand name cereals to generic companies? *Odd* batches could mean that the marshmallows did not come out the right color purple and did not meet the manufacturer's specifications. For all you know you ARE buying a brand-name cereal in that generic box or bag!
And lastly, always buy the generic cereals when they go on sale! Stock up on several boxes. Cereal can be very expensive. If you shop wisely, you can save a considerable amount of money.
If you're a mom, you're ALWAYS concerned about budgeting! Join The Frugal Mom each week for tips on great ways to save on everything from child-proofing to dinners. Ideas for saving in your home business to inexpensive dates with your husband. These tips are brought to you each week by The Family Corner http://www.thefamilycorner.com. Please join us! To subscribe send a blank email message to email@example.com
Take the Next Step
Trending on TDS
- Protecting college students from identity theft
- 6 steps to a romantic fall picnic
- Keeping family and friends entertained at holiday gatherings
- The argument for second-hand toys
- Frugal lessons from WW2
- How mentors turn kids into successful adults
- 6 ways to get free movies and discounts
- November deals at the supermarket and beyond
- 8 tips to successfully work from home
- How to start writing your will
- 5 dumb ways to spend money on your kids
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator