Ask Miserly Moms: Those Soap Bits
by Jonni McCoy
Dear Miserly Moms,
How can I make leftover bits of hard soap into liquid soap? I have lots and prefer to use liquid soap in the bathrooms as it makes less mess. Thank you for the answer if you know it!
Sarah Evans, Australia
Below are two ways to make liquid hand soap that you can put into your pump dispenser.
Liquid Hand Soap #1
- 1 bar Ivory soap, grated
- 1 cup washing soda (NOT baking soda)
- 1 saucepan
- 1 bucket
Put soap gratings in pan, and cover with water. Heat on medium heat until the soap has dissolved. Stir constantly and do not let boil. Add soapy water to 3 gallons of hot water in the bucket. Stir, then slowly add washing soda. Keep stirring until all is dissolved. Put into pump when cool. Shake before using.
Liquid Hand Soap #2 (from Miserly Moms)
- 1 bar hand soap (any type), grated
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 T. honey
- 1 tsp. glycerin (available at drug stores)
Put grated soap and boiling water into a blender and whip. Add honey and glycerin and stir in blender. Let it cool for 15 minutes and whip again. Add cold water until the mixture reaches the six-cup mark. Whip again. Pour into a storage container, and let cool for one hour with lid off. Shake before using.
Other uses for leftover soap bits are marking hemlines (instead of chalk), rubbing gliders on drawers to glide more smoothly, and running over metal zippers to ease the pull.
Other recipes for soap, including shampoos, can be found at:
Jonni McCoy, Author of "Miserly Moms-Living On One Income In A Two Income Economy" and "Frugal Families-Making The Most Of Your Hard Earned Money!" Visit the Miserly Moms Website at miserlymoms.com.
Also in Home
- Ways to reuse an entertainment center
- The cost of using your clothes dryer
- Hay bale gardens
- Priortizing home repair projects
- Great ideas for decorating your entry on a dime
- Easy, inexpensive ways to grow from seed
- 10 ways to save money on your utility bill
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?