How to get bugs off your car without damaging the paint
Cleaning Bugs Off Your Car
Spring Car Cleaning
Removing Smoke Smell from Car
Maintaining Used Car Value
Bug Be Gone
Does anyone know of a cleaner (bought or homemade) that cleans the bugs (and tar) of a car's finish and chrome without hurting the finish? The commerical products (Turtle Wax bug and tar remover) is so oily/diesel fuel like. I'd appreciate any suggestions you have for how to get bugs off my car! Thanks!
From Your Laundry Room
I use Spray n Wash or any other laundry stain remover to get tar and bugs off my car. After applying, let it sit for a minute to loosen the tar then wash. I've been using it for 15 years and haven't had any problems. It also works great on whitewalls.
From Your Auto Center
On of the things I've found that work really well on chrome is Mothers Chrome Polish, it seems to take anything off. Another cleaner that works on bugs & tar is SuperClean, it's made by Castrol and is very effective, I usually spray it on, let it sit a moment, then give it a good scrub.
Here's a great hint for taking anything sticky off: They sell a product called battery cleaner at your local automotive store, this stuff will clean anything. I would recommend spot testing any of the above mentioned products before putting them right on in plain sight. After getting your bumpers nice & clean, make sure you polish (if a newer car) or wax (depending on finish) immediately following, this will make taking off those grimy guts much easier next time.
We use a product called Simple Green, which is available in grocery stores, automotive stores, Wal-Mart, and K-Mart. It gets rid of pesky love bugs for us in the south, and it is used diluted to wash the cars on used car lots.
Janet from Georgia
I use WD-40 to clean the bugs from my van. Of course, there might be a slight residue but nothing like some of the other preparations.
We work with automotive people all day and they all agree the best oil and road scum remover is diesel fuel. It's low price almost makes up for the smell.
An Amway Product
Have found for the past few years that Amway's Gel Bug and Tar remover does a great job - no residue if used as per instructions. May not seem like a `budget buster' if you just look at the price - but if price is analysed and broken down it is definitely worth it.
Windex and Soap
We live in Florida and have a hard time with Love Bugs. My husband has experimented with many cleaners and has found that if you mix Windex (or Windex-type cleaners) and hand dish washing liquid soap, the bugs come off with little effort and no damage to the paint.
Laura in Florida
see The Ultimate Green Store - your one-stop green shopping destination
I use baking soda on my white car to remove road gunk and bugs. My car is almost six years old, and the baking soda hasn't scratched the finish at all. All I do is dip a wet rag in the baking soda and rub; most of the stuff comes off easily.
Su F. in Nashville, TN
Take the Next Step:
- Stink! Use SCOE 10X - The Odor Eliminator to remove the toughest of odors.
- Get more great time and money saving ideas in your inbox. Subscribe to Dollar Stretcher Tips newsletter, a twice weekly look at how to stretch your day and your dollar!
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor.
Also in Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Tha basics of financing a home improvement project
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- 5 steps to saving money with a lasagna garden
- Buying a lease/option home
- Affordable fences
- Fixing up furniture the frugal way
- How a "time of use" meter could reduce your electric bill
- 10 ways to set up a home office without blowing your budget
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?