Camry Timing Belt - Replace Now?
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
My husband drives a 1992 Toyota Camry with 90,000 miles on it. The timing belt has never been changed. I asked him about it and he said that he never has heard of getting this replaced preventively as it is expensive. Should I quit worrying or make an appointment? Will he get any indication that it is going bad? Do they sometimes last for 100,000 miles? My teenage daughters sometimes drive this car. What happens when it breaks?
Depending on the engine design, what may happen when the timing belt breaks is that the valves stay in the last position at the moment of breakage. But, the pistons keep moving. What will happen is when the piston comes up, there is a valve in the way, and whamo... smooshed valve maybe more than one wrecked piston and possibly a cracked block or head. In most cases, the cost of repair after the belt goes is more than before. And, there is no indication when it will go. Check your owner's manual, but most belts have an expected lifetime of 60,000 miles.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Debt is preventing me from taking a vacation this year or the vacation I'd like to take this year! Tell us: Yes, debt is affecting my vacation plans! or No, we're going exactly where we want to go but we'd love to learn make our trip as inexpensive as possible!
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How we saved $34k in interest on our mortgage before closing
- Buying an insurance-friendly car
- Tips for painting a basement floor Readers' Solutions
- This week's Readers' Tips
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?