Camry Timing Belt - Replace Now?
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
My husband drives a 1992 Toyota Camry with 90,000 miles on it. The timing belt has never been changed. I asked him about it and he said that he never has heard of getting this replaced preventively as it is expensive. Should I quit worrying or make an appointment? Will he get any indication that it is going bad? Do they sometimes last for 100,000 miles? My teenage daughters sometimes drive this car. What happens when it breaks?
Depending on the engine design, what may happen when the timing belt breaks is that the valves stay in the last position at the moment of breakage. But, the pistons keep moving. What will happen is when the piston comes up, there is a valve in the way, and whamo... smooshed valve maybe more than one wrecked piston and possibly a cracked block or head. In most cases, the cost of repair after the belt goes is more than before. And, there is no indication when it will go. Check your owner's manual, but most belts have an expected lifetime of 60,000 miles.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Sell my house? Or buy a new one first?
- DIY wall décor
- Home upgrades - Smart projects vs. costly mistakes Video
- Putting your lawn mower to bed for the winter
- Give your bathroom an inexpensive makeover
- First-time home buyer's how-to
- Combating carpenter ants
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- How to keep your mortgage data safe from hackers
- 5 home renovations that can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- Flood insurance too high? You may have options
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?