Ask Miserly Moms: Pharoah Ants
by Jonni McCoy
Q Do you have an inexpensive way to get rid of those sugar ants (pharaoh ants) that are invading my kitchen and bathrooms? I've tried those gel baits and other baits and they are expensive and are not working. Please help! ~ Jan
A We had a bad ant problem in our last home. Here is how we dealt with it. First, we followed the trail to where they were coming in from outside. Then we sealed that spot with hot glue gun or aerosol foam from the hardware store (some have even used toothpaste). If you can, continue to follow the trail to the nest, then pour rubbing alcohol into the nest (keep pouring until the nest starts to overflow). This kills them on contact.
Go back and wipe their trail clean...they leave a scent for other ants to follow.
Jonni McCoy is the author of "Miserly Moms-Living On One Income In A Two Income Economy" and "Frugal Families-Making The Most Of Your Hard Earned Money!" Visit the Miserly Moms Website at miserlymoms.com
Also in Home
- Deck clean-up and repair
- How not to become 'house poor'
- Pricing garage sale items
- Free and extremely cheap sources of mulch
- Creating an outdoor room on a budget
- How to frugally remove a tree
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How spring cleaning can save you money
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?