Ask Miserly Moms: Pharoah Ants
by Jonni McCoy
Q Do you have an inexpensive way to get rid of those sugar ants (pharaoh ants) that are invading my kitchen and bathrooms? I've tried those gel baits and other baits and they are expensive and are not working. Please help! ~ Jan
A We had a bad ant problem in our last home. Here is how we dealt with it. First, we followed the trail to where they were coming in from outside. Then we sealed that spot with hot glue gun or aerosol foam from the hardware store (some have even used toothpaste). If you can, continue to follow the trail to the nest, then pour rubbing alcohol into the nest (keep pouring until the nest starts to overflow). This kills them on contact.
Go back and wipe their trail clean...they leave a scent for other ants to follow.
Jonni McCoy is the author of "Miserly Moms-Living On One Income In A Two Income Economy" and "Frugal Families-Making The Most Of Your Hard Earned Money!" Visit the Miserly Moms Website at miserlymoms.com
Also in Home
- Buying carpet for less
- Inexpensive backyard play areas
- Eliminating bed bugs
- Managing home projects
- Furnishing your first apartment
- 7 low-cost ways to beat the heat
- Happy homemaking the homemade way
- DIY furniture remakes
- Inexpensive ways to change color of laminate countertops
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 5 home renovation can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?