Ask Miserly Moms: Pharoah Ants
by Jonni McCoy
Q Do you have an inexpensive way to get rid of those sugar ants (pharaoh ants) that are invading my kitchen and bathrooms? I've tried those gel baits and other baits and they are expensive and are not working. Please help! ~ Jan
A We had a bad ant problem in our last home. Here is how we dealt with it. First, we followed the trail to where they were coming in from outside. Then we sealed that spot with hot glue gun or aerosol foam from the hardware store (some have even used toothpaste). If you can, continue to follow the trail to the nest, then pour rubbing alcohol into the nest (keep pouring until the nest starts to overflow). This kills them on contact.
Go back and wipe their trail clean...they leave a scent for other ants to follow.
Jonni McCoy is the author of "Miserly Moms-Living On One Income In A Two Income Economy" and "Frugal Families-Making The Most Of Your Hard Earned Money!" Visit the Miserly Moms Website at miserlymoms.com
Also in Home
- DIY backyard waterfall
- Painting a basement floor
- Make your own laundry detergent
- Do-it-yourself home remodeling on the cheap
- Simple steps to lower your water and sewer bills
- Decorating with yard sale finds
- Managing your mortgage
- The cheapskate's guide to flooring
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 6 energy-saving projects for your home
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- How much equity can you cash out of your home?
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?