My Story: Saving on Groceries
by Jana Grubbs
When money's tight and times are hard, as much as we want to we can't cut our bills in half but you can work on the grocery budget. With a little creative thinking and planning ahead you can feed your family wonderful homemade meals that are inexpensive and not as time consuming as one would think.
I start by planning my dinner meals for 6 days. After I decide what will be for dinner I determine what I will need in order prepare these meals and make a grocery list. A grocery list is one key ingredient to not over spending. If you don't know what your going to eat the week ahead your more than likely to pick up items that won't even be consumed.
My second key ingredient to spending less is making my meals from scratch. It's not as hard or time consuming as women today think and the art of making and baking your meal are quite therapeutic. Here are a couple of easy yummy receipes I'll share that will save you money.
Recipe 1 - Thousand Island Dressing:
1 Cup Salad Dressing
1/4 to 1/2 Cup Ketchup (as you prefer)
Recipe 2 - Biscuits:
2 Cups Baking Mix
3 T Salad Dressing
1/4 C Milk
Knead in self-rising flour until mixture is not sticky, flatten with hands, use biscuit cutter and bake at 400 degrees until golden brown.
Debt is preventing me from taking a vacation this year or the vacation I'd like to take this year! Tell us: Yes, debt is affecting my vacation plans! or No, we're going exactly where we want to go but we'd love to learn make our trip as inexpensive as possible!
"My Story" is a regular feature of The Dollar Stretcher. If you have a story that could help save time or money, please send it by mailto:MyStory@stretcher.com
Take the Next Step
- Your groceries cost less when you get cash back! Checkout 51 can show you how!
- For all things "Groceries & Food," please visit www.stretcher.com
- Do you struggle to get ahead financially? Then you'll want to subscribe to our free weekly Surviving Tough Times newsletter aimed at helping you 'live better...for less'. Each issue features great ways to help you stretch your dollars and make the most of your resources. Subscribers get a copy of our ebook Little Luxuries: 130 Ways to Live Better...For Less for FREE!
More Money-Saving Tips for Families
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- The 11 best bargains at the checkout counter in May
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- Keeping kids well-clothed for next to nothing
- Calculating how much life insurance you need
- Is your frugal lifestyle depriving your children?
- Inexpensive gifts for the graduate