My Story: Saving on Groceries
by Jana Grubbs
When money's tight and times are hard, as much as we want to we can't cut our bills in half but you can work on the grocery budget. With a little creative thinking and planning ahead you can feed your family wonderful homemade meals that are inexpensive and not as time consuming as one would think.
I start by planning my dinner meals for 6 days. After I decide what will be for dinner I determine what I will need in order prepare these meals and make a grocery list. A grocery list is one key ingredient to not over spending. If you don't know what your going to eat the week ahead your more than likely to pick up items that won't even be consumed.
My second key ingredient to spending less is making my meals from scratch. It's not as hard or time consuming as women today think and the art of making and baking your meal are quite therapeutic. Here are a couple of easy yummy receipes I'll share that will save you money.
Recipe 1 - Thousand Island Dressing:
1 Cup Salad Dressing
1/4 to 1/2 Cup Ketchup (as you prefer)
Recipe 2 - Biscuits:
2 Cups Baking Mix
3 T Salad Dressing
1/4 C Milk
Knead in self-rising flour until mixture is not sticky, flatten with hands, use biscuit cutter and bake at 400 degrees until golden brown.
"My Story" is a regular feature of The Dollar Stretcher. If you have a story that could help save time or money, please send it by mailto:MyStory@stretcher.com
Take the Next Step
Trending on TDS
- Kids activities for Thanksgiving gatherings
- 5 ways to reduce the cost of kids' clothing
- A puppy for Christmas
- Extra income for single moms
- Instead of toys for Christmas
- 10 steps to zap holiday stress
- Gift ideas for teenage boys
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- 6 ways to get free movies and discounts
- November deals at the supermarket and beyond
- 8 tips to successfully work from home
- How to start writing your will
- 5 dumb ways to spend money on your kids
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator