Change to Synthetic Oil?
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I just found your site and find it very interesting. Was reading some of the articles about oil and you are absolutely correct. A lot of the auto parts store brands are in fact produced by popular name companys. See, I work for one of these auto parts stores. Anyways, the question I have is this: in your opinion when should you not start using Synthetic Oils? I have been told that a vehicle with a lot of miles or small oil leaks may start to use oil or the leaks may get worse if you go from conventional oil to synthetics. What do you think?
Well, a car with a lot of miles will not benefit from the use of Synthetics. And will probably just be a waste of the consumer's money. If you were to start using Synthetics, I would start as early on as possible. Synthetics do not build up as much sludge (if any) like conventional oils do... So, the earlier on you start, the better off you will be. As for the small leaks getting worse, well I think that may be because synths flow a little easier and a just a touch thinner.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- How to seal your basement from outside moisture
- Are you ready to buy your first home? Video
- How to clear a clogged drain naturally
- Indoor container gardening
- Hot? Turn on the furnace!
- The essential starting point to lower summer energy bills
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How spring cleaning can save you money
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?