Don't Let A Blown Hose "Blow" Your Trip
courtesy of The Car Care Council
Andy K's family and travel gear were in the car. Everyone was anxious to leave on their extended vacation when Andy had a last minute thought. He ran back into the house to shut off the water supply line to the washer, only to discover a huge bulge in the hose. It almost certainly would have burst while they were away, allowing a prolonged flood of hot water.
Andy's preventive measure reminded him of another rubber hose that might have hampered their vacation had he not found it in time, a radiator hose that was in marginal condition. He had taken the car to the shop for a complete "physical" and discovered several things that might put him and his family at risk.
Whether on the road or driving around home, you want to know your vehicle's cooling system parts are not running on borrowed time. Coolant loss due to a leaking hose or connection can lead to some very expensive trouble including major engine damage. To help prevent such a crisis, the Car Care Council suggests a thorough visual inspection plus a pressure check (which can be done by most service dealers). Then flush the system and install new antifreeze.
The Council offers this cooling system check list:
___ HOSES ___ CONNECTIONS
Soft? Hose clamps secure?
Brittle? Drain valve dry?
Bulging? Freeze plugs secure?
___ DRIVE BELT(S) ___ RADIATOR
Glazed? Internal rust or corrosion?
Frayed? Mountings secure?
Correct tension? Pressure test OK?
___ PRESSURE CAP ___ WATER PUMP
Valve and spring OK? Bearing condition?
Seal condition? Leakage at gasket or shaft?
Pressure test OK?
Thermostat functioning normally?
Fan clutch engaging and disengaging properly?
Electric fan (on systems so equipped) functioning properly?
For more information on the care of your vehicle's cooling system send a stamped, self-addressed envelope to:
Car Care Council
42 Park Drive
Port Clinton, OH 43452.
The Car Care Council is a non-profit organization and is widely considered to be the most widely respected source of car care information in North America. The Council's staff does not answer technical questions but you can call the C.A.R. Show at 1-88-88-CAR-SHOW (www.thecarshow.com) for your repair questions.
Debt is preventing me from taking a vacation this year or the vacation I'd like to take this year! Tell us: Yes, debt is affecting my vacation plans! or No, we're going exactly where we want to go but we'd love to learn make our trip as inexpensive as possible!
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How we saved $34k in interest on our mortgage before closing
- Buying an insurance-friendly car
- Tips for painting a basement floor Readers' Solutions
- This week's Readers' Tips
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?