Do Warning Lights Mean a Bad Alternator?
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I've got a '80 Corolla. This morning, the brake and battery dashlights glowed when I started the car. They went out when I accelerated, but came on again when I decelerated at the next stop. The engine sounded fine. I drove it to work, and by the time I had it running for about 15 to 20 minutes, the lights stayed off. Drove it at lunch and they didn't come on at startup when it was cold. Is this a light "code" which means anything?
Sounds like your alternator is on it's way out.Or possibly the battery was run low. First put the battery on charge. If the light comes on again, then the alternator needs replacement. You see, the alternator is not meant to recharge a dead or very drained battery. It is only supposed to replace what it being used by the car to run. Whatever extra there is charges the battery. But a fully drained battery or a very low battery could pull too much current and burn out an alternator.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Safe and natural hardwood floor cleaner
- Sectional sofas in small spaces
- Cleaning tile floors
- Could a home security system be right for you?
- Make your own Christmas topiaries
- Natural home clean up
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 ways to organize your home in the new year
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?