Do Warning Lights Mean a Bad Alternator?
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I've got a '80 Corolla. This morning, the brake and battery dashlights glowed when I started the car. They went out when I accelerated, but came on again when I decelerated at the next stop. The engine sounded fine. I drove it to work, and by the time I had it running for about 15 to 20 minutes, the lights stayed off. Drove it at lunch and they didn't come on at startup when it was cold. Is this a light "code" which means anything?
Sounds like your alternator is on it's way out.Or possibly the battery was run low. First put the battery on charge. If the light comes on again, then the alternator needs replacement. You see, the alternator is not meant to recharge a dead or very drained battery. It is only supposed to replace what it being used by the car to run. Whatever extra there is charges the battery. But a fully drained battery or a very low battery could pull too much current and burn out an alternator.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How to hire an affordable, reliable housesitter
- Helping your adult children with housing
- 10 ways to cut the cost of cleaning
- Installing bathroom in-floor heat
- Natural homemade laundry soap recipes
- How to reduce heating bills this winter
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?