Do Warning Lights Mean a Bad Alternator?
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I've got a '80 Corolla. This morning, the brake and battery dashlights glowed when I started the car. They went out when I accelerated, but came on again when I decelerated at the next stop. The engine sounded fine. I drove it to work, and by the time I had it running for about 15 to 20 minutes, the lights stayed off. Drove it at lunch and they didn't come on at startup when it was cold. Is this a light "code" which means anything?
Sounds like your alternator is on it's way out.Or possibly the battery was run low. First put the battery on charge. If the light comes on again, then the alternator needs replacement. You see, the alternator is not meant to recharge a dead or very drained battery. It is only supposed to replace what it being used by the car to run. Whatever extra there is charges the battery. But a fully drained battery or a very low battery could pull too much current and burn out an alternator.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- DIY backyard waterfall
- Painting a basement floor
- Make your own laundry detergent
- Do-it-yourself home remodeling on the cheap
- Simple steps to lower your water and sewer bills
- Decorating with yard sale finds
- Managing your mortgage
- The cheapskate's guide to flooring
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 6 energy-saving projects for your home
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- How much equity can you cash out of your home?
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?