Do Warning Lights Mean a Bad Alternator?
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I've got a '80 Corolla. This morning, the brake and battery dashlights glowed when I started the car. They went out when I accelerated, but came on again when I decelerated at the next stop. The engine sounded fine. I drove it to work, and by the time I had it running for about 15 to 20 minutes, the lights stayed off. Drove it at lunch and they didn't come on at startup when it was cold. Is this a light "code" which means anything?
Sounds like your alternator is on it's way out.Or possibly the battery was run low. First put the battery on charge. If the light comes on again, then the alternator needs replacement. You see, the alternator is not meant to recharge a dead or very drained battery. It is only supposed to replace what it being used by the car to run. Whatever extra there is charges the battery. But a fully drained battery or a very low battery could pull too much current and burn out an alternator.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
If you have a question for Bob send it to: . He's able to answer many of them personally and we'll include the best questions in future issues of The Dollar Stretcher.
Also in Home
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 8 ways homebuyers annoy sellers
- Protect yourself from buying a lemon of a home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 6 ways to stock your "man cave" for under $500
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?