Repairing a Mouse Hole
My basement has a hole around the main water pipe, created by mice, that leaks whenever it rains. I would appreciate it if you could tell me how to fix this problem and whether a novice handyman w/ few tools can handle it. This basement happens to be a finished one. Thanks again.
A good and easy way to seal a small leak like this would be to inject some expanding plastic foam into the area around the pipe. You can purchase this product in any hardware store. There are two types available... latex-based and solvent-based. Use the solvent-based type... the latex-based is not recommended for use below ground level.
Clean (as best you can) dirt and dust from the pipe and the cement before using this product. And don't overapply it. It will expand to fill the crack. Of course, any excess that expands into your living space can be cut off with a sharp knife once set.
Mice usually will not eat this stuff, but I can't guarantee they won't bore right through it. One thing you might do is to first push a small amount of steel wool through the hole as a "backer" to discourage gnawing... then inject the foam.
The Natural Handyman
© 1999 G.G. ALONZY
Have a small home repair question for THE NATURAL HANDYMAN? Just click here www.naturalhandyman.com/aitikia
For more home repair information, visit NH's growing list of original home repair articles and quality links www.naturalhandyman.com
If this information has been valuable to you, please consider making a small donation to support NH's free service to the home repair community! For more information, please visit our "Friends" page www.naturalhandyman.com/friends
The Natural Handyman Site Directory
- Home Repair Articles www.naturalhandyman.com/iip
- Home Repair Links Library www.naturalhandyman.com/linkslibrary
- NH's Bookshop www.naturalhandyman.com/bookshop
- Find a handyman at www.naturalhandyman.com/network
- Win unique home repair gifts and prizes at www.naturalhandyman.com/contest
Please read the important copyright and disclaimer information is located at www.naturalhandyman.com/copyright
Also in Home
- Deck clean-up and repair
- How not to become 'house poor'
- Pricing garage sale items
- Free and extremely cheap sources of mulch
- Creating an outdoor room on a budget
- How to frugally remove a tree
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How spring cleaning can save you money
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?