Emergency Brake Warning Light
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a question about my 94 Ford Tempo. My emergency brake is located on the floor and i use it every time I park. A few days ago, I noticed the light came on the dashboard while driving and I made sure the brake was released (and it was fine) all the way.
What I'm wondering is, do you think this is a problem or maybe just a bad switch? As far as I know, it hasn't affected my speed (and I was probably going about 35-45 mph); I just happened to glance down and I saw a little red light indicating that the emergency brake was supposedly on. Thanks! I appreciate any input!
Well that little light does more than just tell you the emergency brake is on. It is also hooked to a pressure sensor in the master cylinder warning you of low brake pressure. Most likely it is the switch. Is this light on all the time now? If so, the easiest way to see if it's the switch is to play with the brake switch. It is just a cheaply made little plastic gizmo behind the pedal. But, after you played with it and seem to go nowhere (maybe even replace it), I would have the system checked by a professional. Brakes are one of the few components that need to be operating at 100% for a safe trip. One little slip up here, and well, I think you know what I mean.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Safe and natural hardwood floor cleaner
- Sectional sofas in small spaces
- Cleaning tile floors
- Could a home security system be right for you?
- Make your own Christmas topiaries
- Natural home clean up
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 ways to organize your home in the new year
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?