Installing Bi-Fold Closet Doors
Bi-Fold Door Knob Pulls
Dear Natural Handyman,
I want to replace my old bulky 4' bypassing closet doors with bifolding doors. The major problem is that I cannot find any bifolding doors suitable for spanning an 8' opening. I have installed a closet organizer in the eight foot closet and, without the bifolding doors, I will only have access to 1/2 of the closet at any one time. Do you have a viable solution to this problem?
LP from Rialto, CA
Two four-foot doors? You do have a problem, but I have the solution. In fact, three possible solutions!
One option would be to mount four pairs of 2-foot bifolding doors. Terminologically speaking, this means a total of eight one foot doors, hinged in pairs. Because the "hinge" side of bifolding doors consists of a floor-mounted pivot and a top-mounted track, you can install multiple 4 foot tracks side by side with no need for a vertical wood support at either end. The center door pairs would hinge in the middle of the 8 foot frame, giving the appearance of two separate four foot closets when open.
If you really want the total 8 foot opening to be absolutely obstruction free (except for the thickness of the doors on either side of the frame), use bifolding hardware with four standard 2' wide doors. You can purchase a separate bifolding hardware kit, which includes hinges, track, and all associated hardware. Hollow-core doors would be the best choice, since the weight will be more easily manageable by standard bifolding hardware.
If you have a thing for heavy solid doors, mirrored doors or doors with glass panels you might find that the weight will overload the bifolding track/pivot mechanism. No way to know until you try it, though. Then, you would need to use butt hinges... either standard door hinges or special low-clearance hinges that require no mortising... to install the doors to the frame instead of using the bifolding track/pivot method. Obviously, this is a more labor and skill-intensive job, so trying the bifolding method first might be the way to go. The hardware is not that expensive. You could still continue to use the top track to guide the "leading" door of each pair so it does not swing out from the frame, keeping the bifolding function by with additional strength.
COPYRIGHT G.G. ALONZY
Have a small home repair question for THE NATURAL HANDYMAN? Just click here www.naturalhandyman.com/aitikia
For more home repair information, visit NH's growing list of original home repair articles and quality links www.naturalhandyman.com
If this information has been valuable to you, please consider making a small donation to support NH's free service to the home repair community! For more information, please visit our "Friends" page www.naturalhandyman.com/friends
The Natural Handyman Site Directory
- Home Repair Articles www.naturalhandyman.com/iip
- Home Repair Links Library www.naturalhandyman.com/linkslibrary
- NH's Bookshop www.naturalhandyman.com/bookshop
- Find a handyman at www.naturalhandyman.com/network
- Win unique home repair gifts and prizes at www.naturalhandyman.com/contest
Please read the important copyright and disclaimer information is located at www.naturalhandyman.com/copyright
Also in Home
- Financial benefits to living in a mobile or manufactured home
- Repurposing an entertainment center
- How to renew your home's doors
- 10 things you don't want to get caught doing in your closet
- Planning your summer garden
- The natural feeding of roses
- Removing mold from your walls
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 things to do before you buy a home
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?