Love Those Leftovers
by MaryBeth Henry and Amanda Formaro
Reverse Meal Planning
Using Leftover Veggies
Meal Planning Around Leftovers
As the main chef in our family, I often find that I have lots of little leftovers sitting in the fridge by the end of the week. Here are a couple ideas on how to use them up:
- Use the smaller portions for lunch. You can brown bag them and save the cost of buying lunch.
- Have a "menu dinner day" with the kids. Make up paper menus with a list of all the leftovers on it, and let the kids "order" what they want for dinner. (Yes, you get stuck with what no one else wanted!)
- Make something new! Add variety to your diet by taking some of the different leftovers and making them into something new. Have a few leftover hot dogs and some cooked spaghetti? How about throwing the hotdogs into tomato sauce on top of the spaghetti? Some leftover meat and potatoes? Mix the meat into gravy and put it over the potatoes. Leftover turkey, peas and noodles? Mix it all together into a casserole (throw in some Italian dressing and it makes a great summer salad!)
- Extend leftover meat by mixing it with pasta or potatoes and turning it into a casserole. Throw in some cheese or vegetables for added taste and color.
With some creative cooking, you can get that refrigerator cleaned out in no time!
If you're a mom, you're ALWAYS concerned about budgeting! Join The Frugal Mom each week for tips on great ways to save on everything from child-proofing to dinners. Ideas for saving in your home business to inexpensive dates with your husband.
To subscribe send a blank email message to email@example.com
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- Is your family normal? See how other households spend their money
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- What's on sale in November
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- Kids' activities for Thanksgiving gatherings
- 5 ways to reduce the cost of kids' clothing
- What's the best way to bring a puppy into your family?
- 13 things to teach your children that will make their financial lives easier
- How a single mom can create multiple income streams
- Instead of toys for Christmas
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator