Busted Auto Blinkers
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Before I go spending what could add up to $300-$400 on my truck, maybe you can give me some advice! I have a 1996 GMC Sonoma extended cab p/u. About a week and a half ago, I had to replace my battery (after 142,000 miles). The night before I replaced the battery, my blinkers stopped working. When the headlights are on, so are the two indicator lights for the blinkers. They do not flash, they stay constant. Once the headlights are turned off, the indicator lights are not on. I can work the blinkers manually. I believe that one of my blinker bulbs is out (next to be checked) . . . would that cause the blinkers not to work automatically. Any ideas would be most welcome!
If both the left and the right do not blink, then it is usually the flasher module. It is a round little can looking thing found somewhere under the dash board. On some cars it is near the fuse box, while on others it is by itself on the passenger side. Look in your owners manual to find the exact location. And here is a tip to find bad bulbs, turn on the 4 way flashers, the hazard lights. They usually have their own flasher module. Then walk around the car to see what is not working.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Tha basics of financing a home improvement project
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Winter energy saving ideas for renters
- How to control carpenter ants
- 3 things you need to know about free firewood
- Essential fall home repairs
- Fill your home with things that you love
- Organize your garage
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?