Replacing a Muffler
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
We have a old Ford Aerostar on it's very last leg. However, we would like to continue to drive it until it's absolutely not possible anymore. There is so much wrong with it that it is not worth the cost of fixing most of it. The muffler and tailpipe recently fell off, we need to replace it, but don't want to take it to a shop and shell out all that cash!!! So, how hard is it to replace a muffler and tailpipe? Are there any special tricks or tools? I have found an economy muffler and tailpipe for about $55 total. Is this a good idea or is it worth it/neccessary to take it to a mechanic?
Thanks so much for your time!
Basically, all you would need in your case is a good sharp hacksaw (to make a straight cut) the new pipes, clamps, and a few wrenches, and hangers. Jack the car up safely (because you will be under it for a while) and a dry spot to work (again, because you will be under it for a while). The hard part about exhaust replacement is getting the old stuff off. And in your case, that is already done. All you need to insure is that there is good sound clean metal to join the new stuff to. It should be a clean cut, flat and square. Not the pipe, but the cut. The pipe should still be round!
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Creating an outdoor kitchen
- Eliminating bed bugs
- Managing home projects
- Saving on water one drop at a time
- Cheaper summer cooling
- Inexpensive landscaping ideas
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How spring cleaning can save you money
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?