Noisy Minivan Transmission
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
We are looking at a 1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager Rallye Van to purchase but when you put it in Drive or Reverse from Park or Neutral, it makes a racheting sound. A mechanic explained that the electronics in the 4 speed overdrive transmission is settling it into gear and so this noise is normal on Chrysler Products. Have you ever heard of this? We thought we had a deal until we heard this type of noise and are now scared. Thanks for answering.
I hear that noise on almost every Chrysler product mini van. Since about '96 they make that noise. I don't know why, and it sounds like it is a bad noise. But, none the less, it is a common noise.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How to hire an affordable, reliable housesitter
- Helping your adult children with housing
- 10 ways to cut the cost of cleaning
- Installing bathroom in-floor heat
- Natural homemade laundry soap recipes
- How to reduce heating bills this winter
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?