Noisy Minivan Transmission
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
We are looking at a 1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager Rallye Van to purchase but when you put it in Drive or Reverse from Park or Neutral, it makes a racheting sound. A mechanic explained that the electronics in the 4 speed overdrive transmission is settling it into gear and so this noise is normal on Chrysler Products. Have you ever heard of this? We thought we had a deal until we heard this type of noise and are now scared. Thanks for answering.
I hear that noise on almost every Chrysler product mini van. Since about '96 they make that noise. I don't know why, and it sounds like it is a bad noise. But, none the less, it is a common noise.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Sell my house? Or buy a new one first?
- DIY wall décor
- Home upgrades - Smart projects vs. costly mistakes Video
- Putting your lawn mower to bed for the winter
- Give your bathroom an inexpensive makeover
- First-time home buyer's how-to
- Combating carpenter ants
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- How to keep your mortgage data safe from hackers
- 5 home renovations that can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- Flood insurance too high? You may have options
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?