Noisy Minivan Transmission
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
We are looking at a 1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager Rallye Van to purchase but when you put it in Drive or Reverse from Park or Neutral, it makes a racheting sound. A mechanic explained that the electronics in the 4 speed overdrive transmission is settling it into gear and so this noise is normal on Chrysler Products. Have you ever heard of this? We thought we had a deal until we heard this type of noise and are now scared. Thanks for answering.
I hear that noise on almost every Chrysler product mini van. Since about '96 they make that noise. I don't know why, and it sounds like it is a bad noise. But, none the less, it is a common noise.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- DIY backyard waterfall
- Painting a basement floor
- Make your own laundry detergent
- Do-it-yourself home remodeling on the cheap
- Simple steps to lower your water and sewer bills
- Decorating with yard sale finds
- Managing your mortgage
- The cheapskate's guide to flooring
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 6 energy-saving projects for your home
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- How much equity can you cash out of your home?
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?