Oil on My Air Filter
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
My air filter element gets oily. How does the oil get on to it?
Is it getting oily all around or just in one spot? The reason I ask is because the PCV system returns to the air filter housing. If you have a lot of blowby and are getting excessive amounts of oil in it, then you will see one oily spot on the side of the filter. However, if the filter is oily on the inside, then you are getting oil thrown up through the carb. This indicated a major engine malfunction. Usually bad rings or a blown piston. But, in both cases, it is an indication of a worn engine.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Debt is preventing me from taking a vacation this year or the vacation I'd like to take this year! Tell us: Yes, debt is affecting my vacation plans! or No, we're going exactly where we want to go but we'd love to learn make our trip as inexpensive as possible!
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How we saved $34k in interest on our mortgage before closing
- Buying an insurance-friendly car
- Tips for painting a basement floor Readers' Solutions
- This week's Readers' Tips
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?