Oil on My Air Filter
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
My air filter element gets oily. How does the oil get on to it?
Is it getting oily all around or just in one spot? The reason I ask is because the PCV system returns to the air filter housing. If you have a lot of blowby and are getting excessive amounts of oil in it, then you will see one oily spot on the side of the filter. However, if the filter is oily on the inside, then you are getting oil thrown up through the carb. This indicated a major engine malfunction. Usually bad rings or a blown piston. But, in both cases, it is an indication of a worn engine.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive maintenance section and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Trending on TDS
Helpful Tools & Resources
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs?
- Should I refinance my mortgage?
- Compare HELOC rates
- Check for a lower homeowners insurance rate
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?