Resetting Your Sensors
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a 1994 Mitsubishi Diamante that I had to change the battery in. After changing it, the car did not want to idle. I contacted the dealer and they said that after the battery has been changed, you have to reprogram the computer by driving the car for about 20 minutes down the road. I did this but it didn't work. The only way I could get the car to idle was to turn on the AC which would idle up the car enough. I continued to try to reprogram the computer by disconnecting/reconnecting the battery and driving the car. Finally, it started idling. After a few months, I had a problem with the alternator and had to disconnect the battery again. This time I have not been successful to reprogram it. Is there a special 'trick' I need to do to reprogram the computer properly? Should the AC be on or off? I not sure what to try next short of taking to the dealer and paying them (which I want to avoid).
I am not sure about foreign cars, but for most US cars, you should connect the battery and then turn the key but not start for about 10 to 15 seconds. Then, once all sensors reset, start the car and just let it sit and idle for 15 to 20 minutes without touching anything. Then all should be fine.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Debt is preventing me from taking a vacation this year or the vacation I'd like to take this year! Tell us: Yes, debt is affecting my vacation plans! or No, we're going exactly where we want to go but we'd love to learn make our trip as inexpensive as possible!
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How we saved $34k in interest on our mortgage before closing
- Buying an insurance-friendly car
- Tips for painting a basement floor Readers' Solutions
- This week's Readers' Tips
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?