Bedtime Warmth in Winter
Nighttime Winter Luxury
I live in New England where I seem to be cold all winter, especially at night. I used to relish a hot bubble bath on cold winter nights, but with the cost of the fuel to heat my tub of water, I've come up with a better plan! I fill a dishpan with warm water and bubbles. Then I give myself a luxurious foot soak while I sip herbal tea and relax in my cozy fleece robe. I'm nice and warm, and I've spent only a fraction of the cost of heating a tub full of water! When I'm done, I'm ready for bed, as nice and relaxed as if I'd had the full bath!
Lynn C. in Cape Cod, MA
Warm Feet This Winter
Here's another fun way to keep your tootsies warm on a cold winter night and save on heat as well. Microwave up a couple of big white potatoes, wrap each one in foil and place each one in a wool sock. The heat lasts for hours, the foil keeps the heat in longer, the sock prevents burns, and in the morning, you can use the potato for home fries!
Kathi W. in Candia, NH
Flannel Bed Sheets Plus
We have an old farmhouse with no heat upstairs in our bedroom. When it gets really cold, we put flannel sheets on our bed to help with warmth. As nice and comforting as these are, my feet stay cold. My husband brings up one-liter soda bottles filled with hot water that are capped tightly and tucks them in the bottom of our bed. When I go to bed, it is very warm for my feet. It is such a treat and a truly loving gesture!
editor's note: Please be sure that you reseal the bottle tightly and that you use the bottle safely. Burns aren't a good substitute for cold feet!
Bedtime Winter Warmth
Rice bags are an alternative to electric blankets and water bottles. They're easy to make and very versatile. They can also be used for sore muscles and can be frozen for use when you need an ice pack. However, the smell of heated rice can make you hungry enough for a midnight raid on the refrigerator, so be sure to have your warm slippers waiting beside your bed at night!
Take the Next Step:
- More winter warming tips.
- Subscribe today to get your free Dollar Stretcher Tips email newsletter. Twice each week we'll share great ideas from our readers. Everything from auto insurance to weddings to help you live better for less.
- Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Trending on TDS
- Natural wound care Sponsored Review & Giveaway
- Money saving for dog owners Slideshow
- Do you spend to deal with stress?
- How to live like a millionaire Video
- Affordable wedding dinner centerpieces
- Using MeetUp.com to save money
- Avoiding vacation debt & regret Video
- How to quit your day job for your dream job
- How to build a wardrobe on any budget
- Top 10 best (and real) work-at-home jobs and careers
- A cheat sheet on tipping do's and don'ts
- 6 reasons why it's dumb to buy a smartphone
- How to live a life of luxury without going broke