Homemade Laundry Detergent
Make Your Own Laundry Soap
Homemade Fabric Fresheners
Homemade Wrinkle Releaser
Save Money with Homemade Laundry Detergent
This homemade laundry detergent is great for front loading washers. Use two bars of Fels-Naptha Soap grated up, one cup of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda and one cup of 20 Mule Team Borax. Mix it up and store it in an airtight container. Use two or three tablespoons per load. I am very happy with the results. There is no fabric softener needed.
Another Homemade Alternative to Store Laundry Detergent
I use homemade laundry detergent as an inexpensive alternative. Take a bar of soap and grate it. Then cover it in water in a small saucepan and heat until it's melted. In a five-gallon bucket, add the soap, one cup of washing soda, and a half-cup of borax. Then fill the bucket with hot water and stir until everything has dissolved. After sitting for 24 hours, it will gel up and work just like store-bought detergent. It produces very few suds, and I've used it in both a regular washer and a high-efficiency washer with good results. Just use about 1/2 cup per load. Sometimes the mixture will separate, but it mixes back together with a quick stir or shake.
Homemade Liquid Laundry Detergent
Borax can be found in the laundry aisle of the grocery store. Washing soda is a little harder to find. If you can't find washing soda, baking soda will work, too. However, the mixture won't gel.
Trudy in Fremont, CA
Homemade Powdered Laundry Detergent
You can create inexpensive powdered laundry detergent by mixing equal parts baking soda with borax. Store in an airtight container, using approximately one-half cup per regular load.
Take the Next Step:
- Subscribe today to get your free Dollar Stretcher for Parents email newsletter. Time and money saving ideas for families with children. From cradle to college, we'll help you make ends meet during a very challenging time of your life.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Also in Home
- Rent a garden plot
- Renewing bathroom sinks
- Homemade dishwasher detergent
- Cheap sofa reupholstery
- Free landscape borders Slideshow
- Homemade floor cleaners
- 5 ways to prepare your garden for spring
- 10 ways to save money on your utility bill
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?