Sauces and dressings are often easy to make and tastier if you make them yourself. Look in your favorite cookbook for recipes or search the Internet. Make a little at a time to make sure you like them. Also, you don't want to make so much that you can't use it all before it goes bad. If there's one that seems too strong, don't pitch it. Instead, use it for meat marinade or BBQ sauce. I've found some of these are marvelous for chicken dishes with rice.
Quick, Homemade Cream Sauce
I am amazed at how many people use canned soup for recipes. It is loaded with salt, expensive and a cream sauce is so easy to make! For one cup of sauce, melt two tablespoons butter, whisk in two tablespoons of flour until well blended, and then stir in one cup of milk, broth, or a combination of the two. Cook it on medium heat, whisking constantly, until thick. Add salt, pepper, paprika, or melted cheese to taste! It takes just a few minutes and it is delicious.
A Great, Homemade Steak Sauce Clone
1/2 C. orange juice
1/2 C. raisins
1/4 C. soy sauce
1/4 C. white vinegar
2 T. Dijon mustard
1 T. grated orange peel
2 T. catsup
2 T. chili sauce
Bring all the ingredients to a boil, and then boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Allow the mixture to cool to lukewarm. Pour the mixture into a blender until it is smooth. Pour it into a bottle and cap tightly. Refrigerate and use within 90 days.
Heather in NJ
Mama Mia's Homemade Pizza Sauce
Instead of buying brand name pizza/spaghetti sauce, why not make your own? You just need to get a can of tomato sauce or puree (size depends on use and how much sauce you like) and add spices. Spices you can use include Italian seasoning, garlic, and chives. Other spices you can add include oregano, cumin, red (and/or) other peppers and whatever else you have that you feel "fits" what you are making. If you like it extra spicy, you could even add some hot sauce.
Take the Next Step:
- For more great steak sauce recipes, click here.
- Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
- Subscribe today to get your free Dollar Stretcher Tips email newsletter. Twice each week we'll share great ideas from our readers. Everything from auto insurance to weddings to help you live better for less.
Prices keep rising while my income remains stagnant and I worry I am heading for debt trouble. Tell us: Yes, I think I am heading for debt trouble and could use some help! or No, I am not in debt trouble but I am always looking for new ways to help keep my budget on track!
More Money-Saving Lifestyle Tips
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- 6 tips for a fabulously free vacation
- Secrets to living luxuriously for less
- Money-saving secrets of the rich and frugal
- 4 secrets to being a frugal foodie
- Why you might want to become a housesitter
- How to be a vegetarian or vegan on a budget
- Be stylish for less using online clothing resale shops
- This week's Readers' Tips