Sauces and dressings are often easy to make and tastier if you make them yourself. Look in your favorite cookbook for recipes or search the Internet. Make a little at a time to make sure you like them. Also, you don't want to make so much that you can't use it all before it goes bad. If there's one that seems too strong, don't pitch it. Instead, use it for meat marinade or BBQ sauce. I've found some of these are marvelous for chicken dishes with rice.
Quick, Homemade Cream Sauce
I am amazed at how many people use canned soup for recipes. It is loaded with salt, expensive and a cream sauce is so easy to make! For one cup of sauce, melt two tablespoons butter, whisk in two tablespoons of flour until well blended, and then stir in one cup of milk, broth, or a combination of the two. Cook it on medium heat, whisking constantly, until thick. Add salt, pepper, paprika, or melted cheese to taste! It takes just a few minutes and it is delicious.
A Great, Homemade Steak Sauce Clone
1/2 C. orange juice
1/2 C. raisins
1/4 C. soy sauce
1/4 C. white vinegar
2 T. Dijon mustard
1 T. grated orange peel
2 T. catsup
2 T. chili sauce
Bring all the ingredients to a boil, and then boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Allow the mixture to cool to lukewarm. Pour the mixture into a blender until it is smooth. Pour it into a bottle and cap tightly. Refrigerate and use within 90 days.
Heather in NJ
Mama Mia's Homemade Pizza Sauce
Instead of buying brand name pizza/spaghetti sauce, why not make your own? You just need to get a can of tomato sauce or puree (size depends on use and how much sauce you like) and add spices. Spices you can use include Italian seasoning, garlic, and chives. Other spices you can add include oregano, cumin, red (and/or) other peppers and whatever else you have that you feel "fits" what you are making. If you like it extra spicy, you could even add some hot sauce.
Take the Next Step:
- For more great steak sauce recipes, click here.
- Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
- Subscribe today to get your free Dollar Stretcher Tips email newsletter. Twice each week we'll share great ideas from our readers. Everything from auto insurance to weddings to help you live better for less.
Trending on TDS
- Smartphone restaurant savings apps
- Bath bomb recipes
- 9 secrets to a successful consignment store sale
- 15 ways to use prescription bottles to get organized
- Homemade masks and scrubs
- How to host a baby shower
- Rainy day date ideas
- How to quit your day job for your dream job
- How to build a wardrobe on any budget
- Top 10 best (and real) work-at-home jobs and careers
- A cheat sheet on tipping do's and don'ts
- 6 reasons why it's dumb to buy a smartphone
- How to live a life of luxury without going broke