Saving Money on Air Freshener
Scented Candle Air Freshener
I recently received a scented candle in a jar as part of a Christmas gift at work. I decided to take the lid off and placed it in a cup holder in my vehicle to use as an air freshener. It has been working great and keeping my vehicle smelling pleasant but not overwhelming like many car fresheners.
Vicki D, Ohio
Homemade Air Freshener
I recently decided to try and make my own air freshener and do away with yet another aerosol can that goes in the trash. You add about 1/8 witch hazel, then fill rest of the bottle with water. Add 14 drops or so essential oil or fragrance oil, depending on how strong you like the scent. Shake and spray.
Vinegar and Water Homemade Air Freshener
I usually keep spray bottles of vinegar and water to clean around my house. One time someone asked to used our bathroom and it was awful. This bathroom didn't have a window and I didn't have any spray. Out of necessity and desperation, I sprayed the vinegar mixture and left the bathroom. It worked and now I do that if needed.
Homemade Car Air Freshener
When I want a boost of fragrance in my car, I go to my favorite (usually expensive) department store and get my perfume or cologne sample spritzed on a card and leave it in my car. It works wonderfully! The smell will fill the air in the car and you don't spend a dime.
Homemade Herbal Air Freshener
My mother always did this. I picked up the habit and my family loves it. Mix one cinnamon stick, whole cloves, dried lemon peel, and dried orange peel in a pot of water. Heat slowly to a simmer. It will make your whole house smell good at a very low cost.
Citrus Air Freshener
I mixed up an air freshener for my house with water and a few drops of a citrus and floral blend from a line of Asian inspired scents. It smells fantastic by the way.
Take the Next Step:
Also in Home
- How to clean and restore cast-iron cookware
- Homemade fireplace logs
- Frugal ways to winterize your home
- Is it cost-effective to make your own laundry detergent?
- Recipes for homemade fabric fresheners
- Inexpensive reupholstery
- Make your own cleaners
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 5 home renovation can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?