Week three of a 5-week to-do list to help you prepare for Christmas
Christmas Countdown Calendar: Week Three
Christmas Countdown Calendar: Week One
Christmas Countdown Calendar: Week Two
Christmas Countdown Calendar: Week Four
Christmas Countdown Calendar: Week Five
December 4th marks three weeks until Christmas. Have you gotten your tree yet? Hopefully you have already pulled out and inventoried your decorations and have everything you need to get your house and yard decorated without making trips to the store.
This week's focus should be on decorating, writing out and mailing holiday cards, and preparing for any parties, concerts or church services your family might be attending so you can make sure everyone has something suitable to wear.
It is time to put up the tree! Either pull out the artificial one or plan a night to go pick out a real one. Not sure which to get? These tips will help you save whether you decide to go faux or real fir. Designate someone to water and care for the tree periodically if using a natural one.
Decorate the inside and outside of your home, including the tree.
Start writing Christmas cards. Split your list into sections and either do a few each evening while watching television or knock out half this week and half next.
- Does anyone in your family need a nice outfit for holiday dinner, church services or a night out to a Christmas concert? No need to buy something expensive that will only be worn once or twice. Plan to check at consignment or thrift stores before hitting the department stores.
- Will you or a family member need a haircut for a family photo or do you want a cut and color before the big company party? Schedule appointments with your stylist.
- Continue shopping and wrapping gifts!
- Make another trip to the post office if necessary to mail out of town gifts.
- Complete any baking or cooking you have scheduled for this week.
- Figure out your holiday table décor. These frugal table decorating ideas can help.
Take the Next Step:
- For more Christmas preparation tips, visit the TDS Christmas library section and the TDS Christmas page.
- Follow our Pinterest holiday boards: DIY Holiday Gifts, Cheap Christmas Ideas, and Preparing for a Frugal Holiday Season.
- Share your thoughts about this article with the editor.
- Subscribe today to get your free Dollar Stretcher Tips email newsletter. Twice each week we'll share great ideas from our readers. Everything from auto insurance to weddings to help you live better for less.
Prices keep rising while my income remains stagnant and I worry I am heading for debt trouble. Tell us: Yes, I think I am heading for debt trouble and could use some help! or No, I am not in debt trouble but I am always looking for new ways to help keep my budget on track!
More Money-Saving Lifestyle Tips
- Why cheap shoes are a bad buy
- 5 ways timing can make a difference in your bottom line
- Barter your way to some of life's luxuries
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- 6 tips for a fabulously free vacation
- Secrets to living luxuriously for less
- Saving-money secrets of the rich and frugal
- This week's Readers' Tips