Save On Household Products
I save money on household products like plastic storage bags, foil paper, cleaners, glue, tape, etc. by going to estate sales. I often find unopened packages of these items and pay much less than I would in a store.
I have started a small savings that has paid off during those "lean" months. Every time I buy something that is a multi-pack (toilet paper, tissue, soap, etc.), I take one out and put it on a separate shelf in my hall closet (behind some stuff where it won't be readily seen). Then on weeks when we don't have enough money to purchase some of these items, I know I can get by an extra week or two with my small stash of "necessities."
JD in St. Louis
We get all the rebate stuff at Walgreens every month. We get shampoo, toothpaste, and toothbrushes for free, and if I can't use it, an extended family member or someone at work usually can. This month, I got some free pain relievers, toothbrushes, etc.
Our dentist offers free toothbrushes, floss, etc. so we take full advantage of it. The same is true at the doctor's office. We always ask for free samples of whatever is prescribed/suggested for treatment. It's absolutely amazing how much is stockpiled from the handouts of the pharmaceutical representatives.
Community Stretcher Reader
I shop the drug stores with my coupons and get most of my household products and toiletry items for free or dirt cheap. Since we don't have a good variety of grocery stores here and they don't double coupons, I may not be able to get groceries as cheap, but by shopping sales, using coupons and stocking up when I find a good price, I've definitely cut down our spending in these areas in a big way.
The most effective thing I have done to save money on groceries, toiletries, and household products is to make a price book and calculate the unit price for items at several different stores. I also purchase the Sunday paper and go through the coupons and ads, comparing them to my price book. This saves me a lot of trips to the store!
Take the Next Step:
Also in Home
- Safe and natural hardwood floor cleaner
- Sectional sofas in small spaces
- Cleaning tile floors
- Could a home security system be right for you?
- Make your own Christmas topiaries
- Natural home clean up
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 ways to organize your home in the new year
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?