What Is Simple Living?
by Doris Dobkins
This is a question I hear all the time, and appropriate too as "Simple Living" is one of the top ten trends of the decade.
But what exactly is it? Do I have to move to the mountains, heat with a wood stove and grow my own vegetables?
I'm happy to tell you that Simple Living is not one thing or one path. It is not the same for you as it is for me. It is instead personalized for each individual based on what they want out of life. Simple Living is not following the status quo. It is not doing things because that's what your friends or neighbors are doing or telling you that you should.
Rather, it's living the way you want to live and guarding your limited resources such as time and money. It is also eliminating the clutter from your life and stripping away what is not important to you.
Simple living is a choice. You choose your existence rather than allowing others and your circumstances to choose your life for you.
In this article, let's look at one point of how Simple Living relates to our "time". The point is to do one thing at a time.
Instead of trying to multi-task all day long like making dinner while talking on the phone or cleaning house while doing laundry, try doing one thing at a time and enjoy the experience. Think about it while you do it. Try to enjoy whatever it is that you are doing at the moment. Don't think ahead what else needs to be done and don't think back about something you've already done.
We will never get "everything" done in life that we want to get done. Therefore, why not slow down and enjoy the moment, whatever it is.
If you truly want to live a simpler life, this is a great place to start!
Doris Dobkins is a money saving expert, author and speaker and has helped thousands of people find ways to save money and get out of debt.
Take the Next Step:
- Could spending 5 minutes reading a newsletter twice a week save you time and money every day? Dollar Stretcher Tips readers think so. Subscribe and find out how many ideas stretch your day and your dollar! Subscribers get a copy of our ebook Little Luxuries: 130 Ways to Live Better...For Less for FREE.
Trending on TDS
Helpful Tools & Resources
- How to save $1000 while living paycheck to paycheck
- Cheat Sheet: How to get the best auto insurance deal
- Do I have a debt problem?
- Reduce your debt step by step
- Find a better credit card rate
- Where can you get the best savings account rate?
- Simplfy budgeting with this recommended tool
- Get your free credit score
- Cost cutting tips and tricks
- Sources of extra cash