Natural nail and hand care
Homemade Natural Products for Beautiful Hands
by Irene Helen Zundel
Grandma's Secrets for Super Skin
Silky Skin and Salt Scrubs
Homemade Lotions and Toiletries
Relief from Stretch Marks
Your hands and nails can really take a beating! Daily they are exposed to rough weather, immersed in cleaning solutions, caked with dirt from the garden, and who knows what else! Before long, you find yourself with broken fingernails and skin that rivals an alligator's.
Store-bought products aren't always the best remedy. They contain dyes, fragrances, and chemicals that may leave you worse off in the long run. And boy, can they be expensive!
Would you like to pamper your hands, and have strong beautiful nails, and glowing soft skin? Would you like to make your own products with natural ingredients that cost just pennies? Well, you're in luck! Here are three super hand and nail fixes that you can easily whip up at home. Why not give them a try?
Molasses Nail Soak (softens cuticles and strengthens and conditions nails)
1/4 cup warm water
2 tablespoons molasses
Mix the water and molasses together, stirring well. Soak your nails for 15 to minutes and then rinse. For extra conditioning, apply the solution to clean nails with a cotton swab at bedtime, and rinse in the morning. Don't worry. This mixture rinses easily and won't leave your hands sticky.
Milk Hand Mask (can be used on face and body as well)
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup powdered milk or powdered buttermilk
Mix the buttermilk and powdered milk to form a smooth paste. Using a small paintbrush or pastry brush, spread an even layer of this mixture over your hands. Leave the mask on until it dries, approximately 15 to 20 minutes. Rinse off with cool water and pat dry. Because milk is high in protein and vitamins, this mask really nourishes the skin, giving it a healthy glow.
Natural Nail Luster (to promote nail growth)
1 tablespoon pure olive oil
1/2 tablespoon powdered white clay (also called kaolin, found in health food stores)
Reviewed August 2017
Take the Next Step
- Stop forgoing your favorite beauty treatments just because you're on a tight budget. Check out the TDS Guide to Beauty on a Budget and learn the tricks to pampering yourself for pennies.
- Join those who 'live better...for less' - Subscribe to The Dollar Stretcher newsletter, a weekly look at how to stretch both your day and your dollar! Subscribers get a copy of our ebook Little Luxuries: 130 Ways to Live Better...For Less for FREE!
Trending on TDS
Helpful Tools & Resources
- How to save $1000 while living paycheck to paycheck
- Cheat Sheet: How to get the best auto insurance deal
- Do I have a debt problem?
- Reduce your debt step by step
- Find a better credit card rate
- Where can you get the best savings account rate?
- Simplfy budgeting with this recommended tool
- Get your free credit score
- Cost cutting tips and tricks
- Sources of extra cash