Be prepared for winter's storms with window de-icer
Homemade Window De-Icer
TDS Reader Solutions
Homemade Window De-Icer
I've been checking the Internet but having no luck finding a homemade window de-icer formula. Does anyone have a homemade version of window de-icer they would like to share?
Ice Free Windshields with Homemade De-Icer
To prevent your car's windows/mirrors from icing up in the winter, treat the windows before you go to bed each night. The window treatment can be made up of 3 parts vinegar to 1 part water and placed in a spray bottle. This mixture will prevent ice from forming. It is important to spray all of the car's windows and not just the windshield. You can also use the same mixture using rubbing alcohol.
Rubbing Alcohol Window De-Icer
For homemade window de-icer, use a solution of 1 part water to 2 parts rubbing alcohol.
Provide a Physical Barrier
If this is for a car windshield, you may want to prevent ice buildup in the first place, by using an old sheet or a lightweight tarp. Lay it over the windshield and tuck it into the top and front parts of the car door to secure it. After the storm (or in the morning), remove the cover, along with the ice and snow, shake off, and fold away. When you provide a physical barrier to the ice, any remaining frost should go away quickly with the defrost setting and wipers.
Lift the Ice off the Window with this Homemade De-Icer
You can use a household spray bottle for this. Mix a bottle of isopropyl alcohol (70% is best but 50% also works) and a few drops of dish liquid. Spray the windshield liberally, and in a few minutes, the ice lifts off the window. Also, try putting isopropyl alcohol in the washer fluid container (half fluid and half alcohol) to keep your wiper lines from freezing up in the winter.
Reviewed January 2018
Take the Next Step
- Use these tips and guidelines to prepare your car for winter driving.
- Use this handy cheat sheet from a 30-year veteran of the auto insurance industry to get the best auto insurance deal that you can.
- Want to pay off your car faster? Consider refinancing into a lower auto rate.
- Discover more smart ways to save on auto maintenance and repairs by visiting the auto section of the Dollar Stretcher Library.
- Join those who 'live better...for less' - Subscribe to The Dollar Stretcher newsletter, a weekly look at how to stretch both your day and your dollar! Subscribers get a copy of our ebook Little Luxuries: 130 Ways to Live Better...For Less for FREE!
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor.